Saturday, August 28, 2010

PRAGMATIC INSIGHTS FROM THE WISE

"... I wrote about neoteny, the zoological term that means "the retention of youthful qualities into adulthood."

The most fortunate old people don't lose the curiosity, energy, playfulness, and joy they had when they were young…

I take an almost childlike pleasure in each new day. There is always something new to see, to taste, to hear, to learn. I live surrounded with people whom I love and who love me...

If I am occasionally grumpier than I used to be, I am also more forgiving. I understand now, as Philo of Alexandria observed two millennia ago, the need to "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

… And every day I remind myself how lucky I have been — to have survived the war, unbroken; to have lived among great m inds; to have fulfilling work; to be greatly loved; to thrive with my loving, gorgeous Grace; to have healthy children; and to have lived to see the development of antibiotics... the defeat of polio, and the birth of the computer age.


The actuarial tables tell me I'm nearer the end than the beginning, but nothing is certain.

Children look at the world with wonder because everything is new. I see the world with the same wide-eyed wonder because everything is different than it was 25 years ago. Or 50. Or 75.

I can't wait to find out what happens next. Every day I look around, and I'm still surprised..."

~ from 'Still Surprised: A Memoir of a Life in Leadership', by Warren Bennis;

No comments:

Post a Comment